Wednesday, July 25, 2007

defamation of character

While I could turn this into a rant about how much I loathe New York City, Midtown in particular, how the very air around me makes me feel like I never bothered to bathe for weeks, how it is entirely impersonal despite the bucketloads of people, how it sucks my desire to make photos right out of me, and how just slowly walking a block seems to deflate the entire system as though one has just run a marathon.... I won't. Much.

Mr. D had some portfolio review meetings set up yesterday with ad agencies in NYC. And I tagged along with hopes of taking lots of photos and getting to go to the filming of The Colbert Report, and possibly Coney Island (before it becomes much less amusing).

Meetings, check. Wandering aimlessly, check. Falafel, check. Duane Reade, check. Anxiety, check. Skinny bored people, check. Getting violently elbowed, check. Colbert Report, check. (We were seated front and center and we both got to shake his hand. Was hilarious. Thanks again Mark and Shanners.) Mucho photos, no go. Coney Island, nope.

But there is still time. Walking back to Port Authority by way of 8th Ave, picking our way back to Weehawken, I saw Sean P Puffy Combs Diddy. And then I saw this:

flesh and bone
flesh and bone © Laura Kicey

Midtown Manhattan. It never has a bad hair day. Its boobs never sag. But once in a while it forgets to wipe its ass. Gotcha Midtown.

Because I am in a state of little to do and too much time to do little in, I have concocted a poll!! A poll about YOU. Because I would like to know who looks at this drivel. I know some of you. Like Rob, Shannon, Q, Dustin, Addy, Dominic, Bruce, localyokel people I am friends with... Flickr people I have met, some I haven't like Karine, Rachael, Meera, Liz, Pierre. People who curse my name and shake their fists at the sky at the mention of it. Uh yeah. So go on. Tell me. Please? I can look at my sitemeter and it tells me some stuff. But my curiosity pulsates and grows. Help me out... you. And if you want to clarify, you can check all that apply or enter something else entirely.

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got home from a visit to my cousin on Long Island. It was my first time to NYC. I'm still trying to figure out why people love it so much. I thought it was dirty and smelly and overwhelmingly oppressive. I had a hard time taking photographs there, as well. While I did get some, I didn't get many until after I got out of the city.

I was also in Boston - and absolutely LOVED it.

2:09 PM, July 25, 2007  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

dawn, I've long wanted to visit Boston. I'm glad you had at least part of a nice trip. There are parts of nyc that are more appealing- I would like to shoot in Brooklyn, Queens and Coney Island... someday.
But having worked in Midtown for two years there really are no pleasant seasons in the city, and I don't regret leaving for a minute.

2:22 PM, July 25, 2007  
Blogger waterlilysage said...

um. i need an option in the poll that reads thusly:

"We know each other from flickr, and have met, very shyly, in person a few times. I admire your photos a lot and keep track of your blog through a rss reader."

4:12 PM, July 25, 2007  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

that is what the "other" fill in is for madame! or checking all the other boxes would actually count as almost the same as your answer. hehe.

Besides I know both you and Dawn here are regular readers.

4:22 PM, July 25, 2007  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

I've added some stuff to poll. Oh and lo and behold I have a stalker! I hope its one of you two.

4:28 PM, July 25, 2007  
Blogger Shannon said...

i'm visiting your blog again to prove that i am stalker material.

that is all.

oh, and i wanted to apologize for jumping offline so quickly earlier--my boss stole my desk and i had to close my stuff down or she'd snoop! hopefully you will accept my sincere stalkerly apology.

pizza time!

6:41 PM, July 25, 2007  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

sistah please. I'd only be worried if you voted you were a stalker twice and didn't owe up to it. its the stray that makes me scratch my head.

9:23 PM, July 25, 2007  
Blogger kyuboem said...

Greetings from Germantown. Thrilling to get a mention on your blog! It won't be too hard to figure out what I said on the poll.

6:21 AM, July 26, 2007  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

Hey Q! Good to see you around! I haven't been out for Korean food in soooo long. I keep making fake Hae Dup Bap at home without all the good stuff to keep the spirit alive.

12:43 PM, July 26, 2007  
Blogger waterlilysage said...

oh right. other. i have voted for the non-bosoms choice. rock.

9:12 PM, July 26, 2007  
Blogger Michael K. said...

I'm a stalker and your sworn enemy, even tho we share at least 50% of the same chromosomes.

I'm so jealous you got to see P Dids and shake Colbert's hand. Was it skinny, white, and savagely funny, like the rest of him? Or does he have sweaty gorilla hands?

11:17 PM, July 26, 2007  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

Purrrrfect. We watched Colbert do the Jon Stewart hand off thrice, each time fucking it up monstrously while Stewart hid giggles behind his hand. It included Colbert unecessarily purring and mooing and then floundering when he had to think of a whale sound.

His handshake was skinny, white, dry and firm. Which I guess might be like the rest of his person if you've investigated such things. I gather that you are the mean responses to the poll, dear brother.

11:40 PM, July 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am too incoherent at the moment to write much of a comment for you, but good on you for getting people to delurk and comment.

(You need to poll for lurkers too.)

12:35 AM, July 30, 2007  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

Heh. I'd like to make it the norm instead of the exception to the rule. People can't resist polls. I just wish I could figure out who was who from the polling.

8:19 AM, July 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't take the poll, but I'm a lurker. So, here's me de-lurking:

My name is Kelly and I'm going to school near Chicago for graphic design, and want to do something similar to what you're doing. I don't remember how I found you...Flickr maybe? ::shrug::

I've been reading with an interest in your perspective on your field/profession/daily dealings to get some insite into how much I'll be enjoying myself in the future. I don't know if that makes sense, but sometimes I feel like I don't know what I'm getting into.

Love your work,
Kelly

12:15 PM, July 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and I can't spell. Haha!

~Kelly

1:43 PM, July 31, 2007  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

Hey Kelly. I'm not sure I am the best model for those loving graphic design. Good jobs exist. Generally one doesn't stumble into them directly out of college. I for one did not. I have friends who have started their own design companies.

But then I have friends who studied fine art in school who turned to graphic design... and plumbing. Since I fell into photography, I feel like I don't need graphic design quite so much, at least to fill my creativity quota. I *do* however need it to pay the bills until I actually start marketing myself as a photographer proplerly.

Certainly the studies of one go hand in hand with the other. And I did study some photography in school. I just should have bumped it up to a minor I think, though I am not sure I would feel the same way I do about it now. Which might be that much more passionate.

You say you want to do something similar to what I am doing... but some days I'm not quite sure what it is I am doing aside from making pretty pictures and paying the rent. Heh.

2:18 PM, July 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home