Thursday, May 31, 2007

tatterdemalion

This building, which I saw for the first time over a year ago, is nothing short of miraculous. So perfect and intricate are its colorful and varying degrees of decay, the fabric disintegrated to threads, the papered-over windows water stained and peeling, the rusted hinges, the empty places where windows once were.

process
process © Laura Kicey

It stands alone in a neighborhood of big white houses. Like a frail, naked old woman in a room full of hapless people wearing white tee shirts and jeans. No one will look at her, but she is as beautiful as she is delicate.

tatterdemalion
tatterdemalion © Laura Kicey

No one was out on the street. Did they ever notice it was there? Was there outrage that it was left this way? Had it died down? Did they continue to curse its being there. Did they secretly think it was beautiful and wish there was a way to keep it so forever?

...................

Last night I brough my work up to Elizabeth Anne Interiors in New Cumberland to help curate the show, which is going up today. I have mountains of stuff to get together yet for the promotion effort. I'm excited but totally drained of energy.

I'm attempting to get the ball rolling financially in other areas by submitting to stock sites... but my first attempt, with Crestock (their submission process was easy so I decided to have a go since I was there checking in on my contest image votes already), has been inconsistent, but consistently disheartening. I've been submitting things that I think are conceptually relevant and technically sound. My last submission I was told almost everything was underexposed, but fine otherwise. So I brightened them and resubmitted and told that they were bad compositions or not stock material. Yeah I have no clue what I am doing, obviously.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

bah on the stock submissions/feedback. have you tried istockphoto? i love the site and from what i can tell either despite or because of their reasonable prices there are quite a few photogs making their living with it.

11:16 AM, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Michael K. said...

I'm by no means an expert, and my experience of stock photography is catch as catch can, but the problem as I see it is the fact that most of your photos are not *flattened* enough (i.e. with perfectly even lighting, devoid of shadow, conveying information or concept rather than mood or nuance). Artistically, this is obviously a point in your favor, but for stock photos, maybe not.

6:09 PM, May 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home