Wednesday, April 11, 2007

at a loss

Usually being fully cognisant is the recommended state for drivers to be in. However, when I switched into autopilot on a Saturday afternoon somewhere on the Northeast Extension on our way to Trevorton for Easterly consumption, I missed my exit and stumbled, once more, managed to land smack dab in the middle of someone else's madness.

Mr. D concocted an alternate route that took us up Rt. 93 and through Hazleton, the most racist city in the US. He had told me it was a fascinating place that we should shoot, and while I believed him and had quiet fantasies about moldering abandoned buildings, to see with my own eyes I knew would be a special thrill.

truth justice woitko
truth justice woitko © Laura Kicey

Before we got to the city, we rumbled through Beaver Meadow which was truly its own flavor of special. I almost caused us to drive off the road (accidentally, I had already driven off the road with purpose a number of time already) when we spotted a mindblowing cluster of sculptures in the woods across the street from wild arrangements of garbage and handpainted signs with a pickup truck with the words HOMELAND SECURITY painted on the side, with large chartreuse plastic 'aliens' at the wheel and cowboying it in the bed of the truck.

abomnible
abomnible © Laura Kicey

Vegas' wow factor has long worn off and this... uh.... display at a random residential corner in Hometown America was enough to stop us in our tracks. Its intensely exciting to run across these largely ignored but obviously amazing things. Just when you think you are lost, that is where we find it. Joseph A. Woitko, you and your likely underappreciated genius, I salute thee.


......................

One might have suspected I was dead from the level of activity over this way, but I have been actually at my most alive and kicking, if not shooting of late. I took a major step forward professionally last week. The repercussions of which I don't think I can fully appreciate even at this moment with things in the works as they are. While I haven't fully left my design job, I am not going to be a full time employee for much longer. Instead I will be there a few days a week so that we all might enjoy pork products back on the homefront and the remainder of my time will be spent marketing my photography and learning how to make this blog a more useful tool.

So I will be packing up this particular url and nesting the bits in laurakicey.com at the end of my redesign extravaganza.

peel
peel © Laura Kicey

This rather grand move has been a mostly unspoken wish for some time now. Flickr confidence can only go so far... its more like getting drunk and talking to hot girls, and once you sober up, asking yourself if you can really reach the same level of bravado? Well, I can't think I can't any more. Up there with some of the greatest risks I have taken of all time, I am going to lean a little lean on my camera and see if it can hold me up.

my name is no man
my name is no man © Laura Kicey

I've had a fairly fantastic run of luck and a fairly high level of the intangible internet infamy. Its time to put this in more hands and on more paper.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear that you're pursuing photography professionally. Your internet fame and fortune is only a small indication of the skill and talent you possess as a photographer.

My current job provides me with no creative outlet and I am actively trying to figure out a way to replace it with photography, yet still bring in a little coin without resorting to raising chickens for egg money (damn those city bylaws). Your decision to proceed with your goals despite the challenges ahead is inspiring.

Thanks.

11:43 AM, April 19, 2007  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

Its a terrifying leap especially when we of the household enjoy our pork products, not just hte bacon I bring home but loins, hams, cheek and other offal. I hope you too can find a way, I know you have the makings of something great trapped inside a 9 to 5. Best of luck in finding a way. I don't think the big hurdle is talent, it is making the to using it.

8:14 AM, April 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been following your work for years now and I have to say you are by far one of the most skilled photographers I've ever *met*. You not only have the talent, but the cajones to make it work for you. I have no doubt you'll succeed.

Congrats and good luck!

4:19 PM, April 30, 2007  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

*blushes*

thank you db! I hope you are right...

11:51 AM, May 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog and Flickr stream.

If you wish to correctly attribute these sculptures in either your blog or Flickr stream, the sculptor is Joseph *J* Woitko. Joseph *A* Woitko is an attorney outside Hazleton PA, who as far as I know does not pursue art, although he is a very entertaining writer.

12:34 AM, December 17, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home