Thursday, February 01, 2007

second helpings

cut it out
cut it out © Laura Kicey

As of two days ago I have been a member of flickr for two years. There is a great deal of hullaballoo over on the forums these days regarding the compulsory merging of your flickr and yahoo IDs. This personally does not pose much of a problem for me, my yahoomail is my main account. Though on my first re-sign in, I ended up having to re-enter my incredibly long and cumbersome password twice, which, I was told, if I was signed into my mail already, wouldn't happen. My biggest beef is with the cap on contacts and tagging. Currently 2,893 people call me a contact. Had I reciprocated all of those adds I would be very close to reaching the 3,000 contacts limit. True there are people who use the adding of contacts as a form of spammery. The same with tagging in order to get more hits. I use my tags for organization, storytelling, for future use as stock images, inside jokes, and an added layer of communication. Though I am generally not known to be an outspoken grouch on much of anything issue-y, this does kind of bother me. Knowing that other people whose work I follow, such as Rose and Olive and Merkley???, who are forced by Yahoo! to make large portions of their images available to only friends and family because of the NSFW content will only be allowed to share their work with a cap of 3,000 people unless they go through the added step of making a private group or issuing guest passes, that really pisses me off.

Maybe I am just ranting about this because what really crawled up my ass and died is not appropriate material for my blog. And I really shouldn't be thinking about it anyway. So I have been told. The above photo ended up being layer upon layer of appropriate for this day, week and maybe even this year. Not to mention ridiculously popular on flickr. And terrifying to my mother. In other news. The JOINTS hit the wall like a knee to the head this Sunday night, opening on Thursday the 8th. Mugshots @ 2100 Fairmount Ave! 6.30-8.30pm!! Free food!!

joints

You. Know. You. Want. To.

rosette
rosette © Laura Kicey

And tomorrow Mr. D and I start salivating in preparation for embracing Wilkes-Barre with our mouths and eyes. K! We are coming!! Save some pork for me!! Use powers of positive thought to combat snow and ice!



Back to your regularly scheduled fretting about shit.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not all that vocal about it, either, but it pisses me off, too. I haven't switched over yet. I have multiple accounts and I really don't want to have to get multiple Y! accounts in addition. It's a pain the ass.

When I first saw this photo on flickr, it disturbed me. It still does. But I'm like a deer in the headlights. I can't stop looking at it. That's not a bad thing. :-)

9:40 PM, February 01, 2007  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

dawn, good to see you here! Even with one account it is a pain in the ass and I'm not even as rampantly anti-yahoo as so many are.

As for the photo, thank you (very evil laugh). I have a hard time looking at the photo myself and am kind of more fascinated by people's reaction to it. I have some corrections to make to it but I have been putting it off for some nights now. The more recent self portraits I've done have, save the phantasm have drawn on freaky distortion which I find hard to look at... where that is coming from... well your guess is as good as mine. But measuring the reactions is better than watching most sports in my book.

10:38 PM, February 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that is half the fun - peoples' reactions. It's like a study into the human condition.

Interesting that you even have a hard time looking at them. :-)

10:55 PM, February 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home