Wednesday, February 14, 2007

second opinion

under my skin
under my skin © Laura Kicey

About two weeks ago I found a lump. Paralyzed with fear, speculation, weird morose fantasies, dread and anxiety, I went to the doctor who basically brushed me off and told me to soak it. So the pain grew over the next two weeks, making simple tasks like sitting and standing up rather unpleasant, I finally went to another doctor who told me what was going on instead... of scratching their head and calling me 'atypical' and sending me home.

So yesterday I got cut open for the first time in my life. To make the occasion more colorful, Mr. D was invited in on the procedure. He has now officially seen more of me than even I have. Fortunately for me (and most unfortunate for him) I couldn't see what was happening, I likely would have blacked out from the blood, as I am very skilled at doing that. My own gore is usually the only kind to bother me. Afterwards, fueled on adrenaline and the Lidocaine that had kicked in much too late, D took me out for ice cream... and to kill two birds with one stone, we went to the vet too. Ms. Maggs had been feeling a little bumpy herself for a couple weeks so we had that taken care of.


double shift © Dustin Fenstermacher

best diptych ever... I could maintain my humor up to the point of incision, now its every wound for themselves

Then the good stuff started wearing off. And the Ow started kicking in. I went to bed with Ow. Cried a lot. And woke up with Ow. Showered with Ow. Cried some more. And am now sitting at work on what should be a snow day with Ow.

Stabbing-burning pains are awesome. I find I have no tolerance for pain at all. And I am the biggest wuss ever. And this is likely the least clever blog post ever because I didn't really sleep last night, I just rolled around hoping some form of laying would not hurt and the antibiotics would stop making me nauseous really soon. Infections are the bestest! This will be the most romantic Valentine's Day EVAR.

There are some other things I need to write about... such as our awesome opening and hanging out with my college exroommate, but I think it will wait till my head stops boiling. Happy VD everyone!

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger meeralee said...

Ohhhhhhhhh.

I hate the Ow. The Ow is evil. Begone, foul Ow! Ow Kicey no more! Or Maggs either!

Shall I send you chocolate? Address, please.

9:22 AM, February 16, 2007  
Blogger Cally said...

I just discovered you AMAZING flickr site (and left about 30 comments!) and now I find you have a blog too. Very excited. Your work is totally fabulous and I am GAGGING to post some of it on my blog, but only if you say it's ok.

It's my 1st blogiversary tomorrow (and my 1st day with no job in 13yrs) and I want to post lots of bluey greeny photo's from flickr... and yours are THE BEST.

Hope you will let me, but I understand if you don't want me to. Plus I realise that the Ow may be keeping you busy just now so you may not be replying to comments. Fingers crossed for you that all is well and pain is subsiding.

Once again, your work is beautiful, inspiring and completely gorgeous, so I hope you let me enthuse about you on my blog :0)

Get well soon.

2:50 PM, February 19, 2007  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

hello cally... thanks very much for all of your kind words (and yes I am feeling much better). happy blogiversary.. and please feel free to blog and gush away. I am honored.

3:00 PM, February 19, 2007  
Anonymous Cooking with Katie said...

Thoughtful blog you have here.

3:04 AM, May 11, 2022  

Post a Comment

<< Home