Monday, July 17, 2006

ring bearer

dance steps
dance steps © Laura Kicey

It is going on midnight and I just got home from work. The air is so heavy with humidity it has its own presence, so I kept feeling like someone was about to press up against me while I walked home. I was putting in some hours wrapping up what seems to be the most realistic paying photo outlet I currently have: wedding photography.

wild bridal
wild bridal © Laura Kicey

I had always rather shuddered at the thought. And then it was thrown in my lap. I am usually willing to try most things when presented them. My coworker's friend was getting married and lost his photographer at the very last minute. And there I was. So I lassoed Dustin into doing it with me for its meager financial gains. Lo. And behold. We are now professionals.

ham
ham © Laura Kicey

There are a few things I would have done differently, naturally. And there is an equipment list a mile long that would have made it all ever so much easier. And if we shot film the mother might have had more confidence in us. Ah vell. What does she want for that price?! I couldn't have afforded to shoot all that in film and have it processed.

Overall people were cooperative. Not camera shy either. It was a fairly good-looking wedding party so not too many challenges in that respect. I managed to make enough of a goof of myself during the posed shoot that the people posing actually laughed and had real natural smiles. Dustin snuck around with the zoom plucking them like rare orchids. After that they asked us to stay on and shoot the ceremony and reception. And they tacked on some extra incentive.

austere
austere © Laura Kicey

I even managed to work up enough guts to approach tables and random people and ask to shoot them. And later after all the major photo opps and pivotal life points had been taken care of, we smooshed cake in each other's faces and we danced along with a throbbing mass of young and old. And it was good. And so was the poultry on a stick.

So. Hey Google. Laura Kicey and Dustin Fenstermacher are wedding photographers in the Philadelphia area. Affordable ones. Pleasant ones. Get hitched with us!

stakeout
stakeout © Laura Kicey

5 Comments:

Blogger Gail at Large said...

Congrats wedding pros! Did they ever git dowwwn... whoa ~

(By the way, did they tell you why they lost their photographer at the last minute? Because cynical ol' me would wonder if it was money-related.)

1:14 AM, July 18, 2006  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

Thanks Gail! I got the fuzzy version of the inside scoop and it was a pro guy they know... who I think just wanted more money.

7:24 AM, July 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're far braver than I for doing it.
The only and only flirtation I had with wedding photography was with some very demanding people, mothers and mothers in law. Now that I think of it, I don't think the bride or groom actually spoke to me.

8:47 AM, July 18, 2006  
Blogger Gail at Large said...

Adam is right: wedding photography can be rather daunting, for so many reasons... STRESS, STRESS, and oh, STRESS.

It's great the wedding party could let loose, makes your job easier.

Now that you've popped your, er, wedding cherry (hey, you took the photo!)... will you be doing more?

12:33 PM, July 18, 2006  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

We didn't really talk to anyone we didn't have to. Since being invisible is something I have always wished for, this was a good opportunity to do just that. Make payment arrangements, 'can you turn your body a little away from me. Good.' Ok. Enough for me.

I could definitely see doing it again. D and I are plotting a preview site for potential clients.

1:00 PM, July 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home