Thursday, June 29, 2006

ode

Photo Review might not want them, but I will always be fond of them. (I had submitted 5 to this juried gallery show, but can only recall these three, my favorite anyway).

Let's hear it for rejection!

grease fire
grease fire © Laura Kicey


when the bough breaks
when the bough breaks © Laura Kicey


conviction
conviction © Laura Kicey

On a lighter note, on my way to collect my friend Daniel to feed him his (worst ever shouldna bothered) birthday dinner, I saw hair that literally stopped traffic. At a stop sign, three cars had worked themselves into completely absurd angles to avoid hitting a girl in the center who was walking around collecting handfuls of tumbleweave. I couldn't help myself but chuckle. I popped my weave once. When I was in college, I used to wear ridiculous fake hair worked into my own (oh don't think I am going to post a photo). I went to the eye doctor and was having the glaucoma pressure test conducted by a woman who clearly seemed kinda nervous about the procedure herself, which made me nervous.... hypervenitlate and black out. And you know my hair came all undone. Alarms did sound, but I didn't cause any major accidents... at least none I was conscious for.

A word for my people tonight who could use some love, Daniel wedged under a broken heart, L under hopes and fears twisted in knots, K under the knife tomorrow, and D under water and, well, everything not bolted down and some foul-smelling mystery substances. I'm thinking about you all and twitching out with worry.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand the last paragraph, but I like the sound of it.

I love the rejected photos. Beautiful, sensitive stuff.

5:50 PM, June 29, 2006  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

The people I adore are in a general state of disrepair... my writing skills are likewise...hehehe, the not sleeping thing is starting to show I believe...

thanks lucy.

5:58 PM, June 29, 2006  
Blogger Michael K. said...

I guess in your book your brother never needs a shout-out of encouragement, but whatever. I've got less than a grand to live on until September 1st, and whichever way I turn for help, I'm gonna have to live like a pauper and be in debt up to my eyeballs probably until the New Year. But then again, I'm only your brother. I don't get a cute initial and a tagline to sum up my woes.

6:49 PM, June 29, 2006  
Blogger Bruce Grant said...

the photo review represents everything, imho, that's wrong with the philadelphia "photography scene" -- preciosity, servility towards collectors, and an altogether unearned sense of privilege. your photographs have heart. go resolutely in that direction.

(any interest in a photoexpedition to gray's ferry?)

3:29 AM, July 01, 2006  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

I think that gives me a little hope bruce, thank you.

gray's ferry... is rather close to the neighborhood where I got robbed... not sure I'm ready for that.

11:14 AM, July 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice photos, I like the shot on top with the stove. The color tones and the light give this shot a nice atmosphere.

6:12 AM, July 06, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the Grease Fire shot! Wow! I love the composition, the color, the beauty, and the diffused light! Awesome!

4:58 PM, July 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home