Saturday, May 20, 2006

nerve endings

the nerve

I awoke this morning to find this in my inbox: a newsletter from Nerve promoting their latest monthly photography contest. Funny how I never submitted a photo to them for anything EVER, but mysteriously, there is my face in my photograph promoting a photography contest on a website that has no business using my all rights reserved photograph featuring my own face without my permission, model release, nor giving me any sort of credit.

Funny how I am not at all amused.

I wrote them a little email to tell them how very displeased I am and urged them to contact me. I am more than a little unhappy about this, more so if I find that someone is passing this off as their own work. I have long been familiar with the site and always admired their photography galleries and, even in the context of articles, how careful they are to credit the photographer. An all too similar thing happened just barely a week ago to my friend Sandra when a French theater company stole her photograph and used it on a poster for a play, without crediting her or asking permission.

Sidenote: I am looking at this blog for the first time in IE on a PC and find that my sidebar does not, in fact, appear as a sidebar... instead as a horrific tail at the end of the page. I have no idea how to fix this or even test it as I am not normally ever on a PC.

Overall: gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

5 Comments:

Blogger frog and toads wild ride said...

Dear Helveticaneue, I used part of your photo, 'Gifthorse' in a collage that I made. Would you be ok with me putting it my other art/photos on Flickr, as long as I give you credit?
:0)
Jen Barger

6:28 PM, May 20, 2006  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:23 PM, May 20, 2006  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

Dear Frog and Toad, it is clearly stated on the Flickr page that it is an All Rights Reserved image. That means no derivatives, whether it be commercial or non-commercial. It is also stated here on my blog that I do not wish my photos to be used without my express permission. I do not appreciate having my photos used without being asked. Period. If you had asked I would have been happy to oblige. I like your pieces but you have no right to use my work. I would strongly suggest you stick to using people whose work you have asked permission to use first or only people who have licensed their work under creative commons for derivative works.

8:55 PM, May 20, 2006  
Blogger frog and toads wild ride said...

Guess you're right...sorry.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
~Jen B

6:48 AM, May 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as I've said, people are just dumb. I've finally discovered that what goes around comes around and karma has a way of making everything work out in the end. True dat.

6:48 PM, May 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home