Monday, November 06, 2006

working backwards

Falling ever further behind on everything, as the holidays open their big maw and swallow me... I have been wildly remiss with the blogging. Last-last weekend Mr. D and I ventured north-centralwards to crack open the strange dismal excitement of Minersville, PA and revisit our favorite Poorest City in Pennsylvania, Shamokin.

haunts
haunts © Laura Kicey

Basically everything we planned to do during the three day weekend ended up getting scrambled, twisted and/or rained on. The Metropolis of Minersville, which wanted for a longer stroll, received a quickly darkening gallop-through, during which we had our first ever house bar sighting:

snare
snare © Laura Kicey

Apparently in its heyday, the town had 6-8 bars per block, so naturally some landed in homes. Obviously. Despite not really being a drinker, I was inches away from entering just to visuallly drink it all in. I mean, they had a giant plastic scare owl in the front window. What's not to love?

red leaves
red leaves © Laura Kicey

Shamokin in its crumbling-but-not-abandoned splendor met us with cloudy skies and glares from pick-up truck drivers. We were only questioned once by a man who seemed to have tracked us down after seeing us earlier in our walk. I batted my eyelashes and said 'I like colors and textures' and apparently, this was sufficient. Baffling.

pulling the wool
pulling the wool © Laura Kicey

This last weekend I got to exercise my brand new sparkly 10-22mm lens in the Italian market with a posse of flickrers.

cider
cider © Laura Kicey

Accidentally stumbled upon the Mew Gallery in the neighborhood of the Italian Market, where I am hoping to show there (next year) or have works on consignment. Also in photo news, I got a photo published in JPG Magazine's self-portrait issue.

salsa dancing
salsa dancing © Laura Kicey

Big congratluations are in order for Mr. D who is signing a contract with a fabulous photo collective which will help him hone his stellar talents. Woo Hoo!

stockings
stocking © Laura Kicey

Also I'm in the thick of things with processing photos from yesterday's shoot with Philly's own drag king extraordinnaire, Wang Newton. Daniel and I worked together to shoot her 2007 calendar. The photos will also be used in her publicity for the next year. Hopefully I can post some of those soon.

And just for kicks,

landing
landing © Laura Kicey

I was introduced to Bill Brandt when I posted this on flickr. Apparently most popular for his eerily distorted nudes shots with a wide angle lens. Nothing is original, but yet, it doesn't stop being exciting learning this.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous yank said...

A fantastic blog. Keep it up.
just visiting my site
COMPUTER INFORMATION
Parisj Van Java
Anti Virus Protection
New Anti Virus
Anti Virus Info an Virus Remover
Brontok Information
Make Money Online
thanks.

1:55 PM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger Dustin said...

Oh, if yank could be as good a spammer as Ribs T. Barbeque.

2:29 PM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

seriously, yank should consider a better name at the very least. what a letdown.

Yank J. Monasteries

Beef up the spam dude!

2:36 PM, November 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home