Saturday, May 27, 2006

memorial

I left the Mercer Museum feeling slightly guilty as I didn't once stop to read anything about the mountain of random odds and ends collected by this man. However, he didn't appear to be very choosy about what he was picking up either, as he seemed to have thirty or so of everything.

deathbed
deathbed © Laura Kicey

I've not ever really been a collector in my adult life. When I was a girl I went through the typical girly horse phase, wanting anything emblazoned with a horse's image to be mine.... which inexplicably drifted into birds and insects, but by then I had stopped collecting physical objects and collected more just knowledge. Though I spent many years catching said insects and building them Lego cages, feeding them and caring for them according to the sacred Bible of Audubon.

when my life began
when my life began © Laura Kicey

Photographing people, places and things is I s'pose in a way is a rather efficient way of collecting...taking up only digital space, costing basically nothing (after equipment. hahaha!) and only taking that which you want and being able to make it exactly as you want to remember it.

cut off
cut off © Laura Kicey

On my way home from Doylestown this afternoon, I attempted to get lost... letting myself miss a turn or three. Seeing where I end up. Inevitably realizing I am always pointing towards something familiar.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great shot of that creepy doll. i couldn't stay more than five minutes in that exhibition. freaky.

12:04 PM, May 30, 2006  
Blogger helveticaneue said...

thanks! that doll wasn't actually in the attic exhibition part, she was is some random corner on the lower level. when I was alone in the attic though, I felt distinctly unsettled.

12:14 PM, May 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home