Tuesday, January 29, 2008

accessorize

This story, my story, keeps taking unexpected turns. Though at first they might have seemed to be for the worse... it is more of a close a door and take a wrecking ball and knock out a wall. Renovations of this scale take a little time, naturally. But this foundation is ready to support a brick shithouse.

letting go
letting go © Laura Kicey. All Rights Reserved.

This last week has been fairly packed. Friday I got a call from the art buyer in charge of the pending advertising usage of some of my work. After some digging and general struggling with how to price to not lose a job without cutting myself off at the knees in terms of putting a price to the creative effort, I gave them some pricing. I am still not going to name names until the deal is sealed, but the art buyer said she should hear back within a week. I am still tingly. To celebrate, I ran off to The Perogie Kitchen to fuel our now near-regular Art Bitch Night at Chez Shanners. After cooking up our two alarm grub, we set to task of watching movies in the background and working on our respective art projects in the fore.

presence
presence © Laura Kicey. All Rights Reserved.

Saturday my mom turned up to deliver a glass tabletop to cover The Shanner's elaborate photographic table concoction I shot her with the previous weekend. But first I drug mumsy to the Mercer Museum which I hadn't visited in almost two years.

tangle
tangle © Laura Kicey. All Rights Reserved.

Hoping to wear her down a bit using the six stories worth of stair in the mammoth, frigid, cement castle, we headed down to make our delivery and get dinner with Shanners and roll back to her place to fuss over the chinchillas, bunns and Betty White. Tireless Maternal Maraughter has now developed an obsession with the furry ones and the Mexican joint down the street from Shannon's place.

stumble
stumble © Laura Kicey. All Rights Reserved.

Ms. Beaver came round for a scantily clad turn 'round the abandoned Fort Washington property I visited a few weekends ago with Gwyn. I had decided it sounded like exactly the right place for a shoot she had been envisioning for us for weeks. That is, had it been 70˙ outside.

shrug
shrug © Laura Kicey. All Rights Reserved.

She wanted to build a 'lightly erotic narrative' basing the looks around a single piece of lingerie and supporting pieces inspired by Chloë Sevigny's collection for Opening Ceremony and Luella S/S 08. The lighting in the first location was the most cooperative, of course it was whilst it was still brightest out.

organgrinder
organgrinder © Laura Kicey. All Rights Reserved.

By the time we got to the oldest house, we were losing light and, on top on this, there were no window panes in the windows to keep out the crisp whipping breezes. Even I, fully clothed was feeling the chill. But all in all success. Capped by fish tacos. Before the end of the night, co-explorateur, Gwyn, had located another location rich with character and furnishings nearby. Another shoot is in the mix.

spanish moss
spanish moss © Laura Kicey. All Rights Reserved.

Today I landed another editorial portrait assignment for another local magazine. And had people on etsy demanding construct reposts and special orders. And my chum, Joseph Robertson of LAB magazine fame has asked me to consider the constructs for inclusion in the 'collections' theme of the next issue of LAB. You can also see, in teensy tiny form, on the home page of Lifestyle Magazine under the Montgomery Issue tab, my recent cover shoot with artist Dane Tilghman. In one week I have managed to have a foot in fine art, advertising photography, editorial photography, fashion photography and stock photography.... Oh yeah, and graphic design, illustration, and I am judging a photography contest in a few weeks... making me something of a creative tarantula. Hopefully I can maintain my posturing with all these limbs sprawling.

chaise
chaise © Laura Kicey. All Rights Reserved.

dusk
dusk © Laura Kicey. All Rights Reserved.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home