Thursday, March 25, 2010

stockholm syndrome

tickly
tickly / model: sandra © Laura Kicey, All Rights Reserved.

After careful consideration, I have decided to launch a Kickstarter project, molded in the likeness of my 2009 Kicey to Iceland project - for 2010 I give you Stockholm Syndrome: A Jätte Swedish Adventure . To step up the game, I decided to integrate the creation of the book into the project and the option for some backers to own copies of it when it is complete, as well as still being able to select prints from the series I create. Since kickstarter was so young when I launched the original project, there were certain oversights in planning and budgeting on my part, and there have been some new functionality and publicity on Kickstarter's part, not to mention the oodles of positive media attention it has since received. I am hoping that I haven't worn out my welcome with patrons past, and meanwhile don't drive everyone else crazy/bored stiff with the related posts, meanwhile encouraging new backers.

It has just come to my attention that what I always thought of as a stereotype about Americans not knowing the distinction between Sweden (and all things SWEDISH) and Switzerland (and all things SWISS) - may actually be true, because a number of (unnamed!) people have been making some statements that I have now just pieced together as confusion about where I am going. Since we are addressing a stereotype, it seems appropriate to clarify with some more stereotypes! For those of you who are already clear on the subject, you can skip this part.

SWITZERLAND or things associated with being SWISS:

Switzerland is located in mainland Europe, landlocked by Germany, France, Italy, Austria and Liechtenstein. They speak French, German, Italian and Romansh. The major cities are Geneva and Zürich.

Some cultural things commonly associated with Switzerland:

1. Swiss Chocolatiers (Lindt, for example)
2. Swiss Cheese -Gruyère/Emmental and fondue
3. Swiss Movement Watches - like Swatch
4. Swiss Engineering / Precision (I am not sure what this refers to, maybe cars and watches)
5. Swiss Army Knives
6. Swiss Bank accounts.
7. Being politically neutral
8. The font Helvetica (which may be a major reason people think I am going there!) and typographic designer Max Miedinger
9. The Swiss Alps and The Sound of Music
10. Alphorns, Lederhosen, Skiing, Yodeling and Ricola

I have never been there.

SWEDEN or things associated with being SWEDISH:

Sweden is a Nordic country, and part of the Scandinavian Peninsula, to the north of mainland Europe. It borders on Finland, Norway and Denmark. They speak Swedish and the capital is Stockholm. Part of the country rests inside the Arctic Circle.

Some cultural things commonly associated with Sweden:

1. IKEA!
2. Volvos
3. Swedish Fish (which are not actually Swedish)
4. Swedish Meatballs
5. Being Blonde and HOT - like the Swedish Bikini Team
6. Vikings
7. H&M
8. Let the Right One In / very small vampires
9. Ingmar Bergman, Ingrid Bergman, and Greta Garbo
10. Being politically neutral
11. Fish and especially Lutefisk or fish 'cooked' to a gelatinous state in lye
12. Institutors of the Nobel Prize
13. ABBA, Ace of Base, Lykke Li, José Gonzalez, The Knife, Fever Ray, Peter, Bjorn and John.
14. The Swedish Chef on the Muppet Show.
15. Laplanders and the Sami people, also reindeer.
16. Turnips, also known as Swedes.
17. The place where I am going in May.

They are both European, politically neutral, begin with SW, and get lots of snow from time to time. I am sure there are a lot of things that are available in both countries, except maybe Lutefisk, which should be banned in all countries, Sweden included.

So, if you have an interest in my visual interpretation of Sweden, and would like to own a piece of art made by me, I encourage you to support my project, or follow along while I get this show on the road. I need to write another more in depth update in on going to NYC to visit my favorite Swede who was in town briefly, plus some other adventures and things coming together in exciting ways, some of which I cannot disclose just yet!

So stay tuned and check out my kickstarter project which gives more details about what is at stake and how you can participate! You can always access it via the widget in the sidebar --->

Many thanks for reading, and even if you just link to my project, it is VERY much appreciated! Please comment with any questions! Tack!

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home